I was homeschooled for 10 years, and my past schooling on facebook reads Homeschooled Class of 2011, We all know we are anti social, yet anyone who knows me knows I am not a shy person. I’m the kind of person who doesn’t find most things that are deemed “awkward” to be awkward. No not cuz I don’t understand them, but because of who I am.
I am not a pro homeschooler person though, because personally I’ve enjoyed being at school better than homeschooling. Let’s go through the pros and cons.
Pros for Homeschooling:
- You can teach your personal morals, and not have a secular worldly ‘bad’ influence on them
- Participation in sports and clubs is more flexible and more free time
- They can graduate early, and work at their own pace weather it be slower or faster than normal
- No bullying or harmful experiences often associated with schools
- No homework
- can eat healthier
Pros for School:
- Have daily interaction with peers daily
- Easier to get a learning disorder diagnosed
- Teaches them responsibility and deadlines
- Gives them light into other cultures and belief values
- Mission field on a daily bases
- Is handy if a second parents must work part/full time
- Have connections to sports and clubs
Cons for Homeschooling:
- They only have your morals, and therefore when introduced to the secular world, they will be shocked or rebel
- May cause prejudices or discrimination
- Only one parent can work
- Sometimes children suffer social anxiety after homeschooling (rare)
- Sometimes friends the same age are lacking
Cons for School:
- Children introduced to liberal morals
- Can be peer pressured into drugs, alcohol, sex whatever
- May be over loaded with homework
- May be bullied
- Make unwise choice of friends
All these things said and done there is no black and white. It really depends on what type of person you are. My older sister didn’t like school at all, yet my oldest brother flourished in it and enjoyed it to its height. Both of them are unharmed in any major way. It really is what type of person you are.
And to be honest, if every Christian hid away in private schools and homeschooling where would be the Christian in the secular wold.
Just some thoughts,